Welcome to Oxford Cemetery
The Oxford Cemetery Association was founded in 1855 by a group of citizens who purchased 31.4 acres of farmland from W.A. Irwin. The land and its surroundings lie just south of the campus of Miami University at 4385 Oxford-Millville Road (US 27). The need for the cemetery developed with the coming of the railroad to Oxford. The Junction Railroad Company had purchased a right-of-way from village officials and the railroad track bisected the then existing burial grounds that had served the small community since 1817. Many residents felt the cemetery was no longer a suitable resting place for their loved ones. So with a $500 first payment on the land, the Oxford Cemetery was founded.
The first Association Trustees included a representative cross section of village dwellers: Thomas McCullough (merchant), J.D. Flingwood (grocer), James Smiley (farmer-banker), G.W. Keely (dentist), Elias Kumler (banker), Peter Sutton (Mayor), and Robert Ratliff (teamster). The first burial was that of Elizabeth Beeler Collins on August 1, 1855.
In the early years, graves were dug by hand and adverse weather conditions prevented burials after November 1. A chapel of 24 square feet was completed in 1870 and the caskets of the deceased rested there until suitable weather and ground conditions allowed for their burial.
A comprehensive history of the cemetery was written by Sylvia F. Ferguson and is available today in the Lane Public Library for the avid historian.
Membership in the Oxford Cemetery Association consists of any person owning a lot or grave or niche in the Columbarium, or acting heir to such deed in the Oxford Cemetery. An annual meeting is held in June of each year at which time election of members of the Board of Trustees is held. The Board consists of nine volunteer members elected or re-elected each year for a three-year term. The Board elects from its number a president, vice president, and treasurer. The Board hires a cemetery manager to oversee the maintenance of the grounds and the compliance of the rules and regulations established by the Board. The manager supervises the cemetery’s grounds crew, assists families with arrangements for burials and explains the various options available. The Board is responsible for setting policy and procedures, anticipating future needs, and for raising funds to support the ongoing needs of the cemetery.
The Oxford Cemetery Association is a non-profit organization, recognized as such by the State of Ohio and the Internal Revenue Service. It is entirely dependent on revenue from the sale of lots and niches for cremains, burial services, and charitable gifts made by individuals and charitable grant-making organizations. The Board of Trustees of the cemetery invests a percentage of monetary assets in perpetual care, which is held in trust and invested as provided by law. These funds help to maintain the cemetery grounds.
Cash gifts to the Oxford Cemetery Association are tax deductible and can be made by sending a check to the Association to its mailing address at P.O. Box 396, Oxford, OH 45056. A donor may also make a deferred gift by leaving a bequest in his or her will or by naming the Association as the beneficiary of a retirement account, life insurance policy, annuities or other assets.
The Board of Trustees is thankful for the donors who have contributed over the years. Their gifts have provided much-needed funds to repair and maintain the beautiful, historic grounds of the cemetery.